Monday, July 1, 2013

Elementary School Etiquette for Airline Passengers


Picture this: I'm on a flight, heading out on my long awaited summer vacation. I'm reading a hilarious book called, It's Not All Flowers and Sausages: My Adventures in Second Grade,  
when a woman with an aisle seat sneezes. It’s loud, it’s juicy and it involves something that looks like a convulsion. Here's the worst part: she didn't cover her mouth! I couldn't believe it! She then repeated her germ-infested spewing ritual 2 more times. Doesn't she know how gross that is?

So I started wondering... What if all the airline passengers who had manner violations were forced to sit in time-out at the back of the plane? What if a flight attendant got on the speaker before each flight and reminded everyone to use his or her best airplane manners? I’ve prepared some behaviors that most of my 1st graders would agree should be on such a list. Maybe I'll send it to all the major airlines...haha. My friend Karen, a teacher too, helped me brainstorm.

1. Cover your face like a vampire when you sneeze or cough. No one wants to breathe your germs!

2. If you sprinkle when you tinkle, be neat and wipe the seat.

3. Don't pick your nose. You may think no one can see you but you're wrong! Get a tissue.

4. Never push to be first in line. And definitely no cuts. We are all going to the same place.

5. Don't talk when the pilot is talking. It's rude

6. Never put your butt in someone else's face.

7. Don't touch the person next to you. Especially if you just did #3.

8. If you don't like the free snack, don't complain. You get what you get and you don't get upset. (Oops! This one may not apply to some of the greedier airlines who have nixed the free snack in an attempt to cut their costs. I guess those pretzels were really eating into their profits! I digress.)

Anyone care to add to the list?
Happy travels,

2 comments:

  1. And, how about the really "sensitive" person directly seated in front of you in the airplane thinking there is TONS of room to lower his (her) seat so that his(her) head is practically in your face! FYI: There is never any room to lower the seat back! Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I miss the days where you could select to be in the emergency exit rows without paying extra for the privilege/duty.

      Delete